Friday, June 3, 2011

Hair, and the advantages of cancer treatment


My body is blossoming in hair. All the places that lost hair (which was everywhere) due to chemo are now sprouting like mad. My head is pelted, my groinicological area is pelted, my legs and eyebrows have hair again, etc. And, regretfully, my hag hairs on my chinny-chin-chin are coming back with a vengeance.

I am pondering never cutting or shaving my hair again, to experience the opposite of being so bald.

The hair on my head seems to change every day. Last week, it was clearly white on the sides and dark on top. Now it appears to be an even mix all over, and could be getting wavy.


The only place that isn't as hairy as it was before is the armpit that was operated on. I have a four inch long scar under there and I suspect that surgery removed some hair follicles.

When I see hairs in the bathroom sink at work, I know they're not mine.

*******

I now have six remaining radiation treatments. On Tuesday, they'll begin the "boost", of which I'll get five treatments. Then I'm done with radiation therapy.

I cannot wait to be done. I am more than tired of all this.

*******

It's been six months since I had surgery. Seems like a couple of years ago.

There are residual effects from the surgery, including continued numbness on the underside of my arm, my nipple looks like it's being tugged in from someplace inside my breast, and of course the two big scars.

*******

I've been thinking about the positive side effects of breast cancer treatment.

I've made a list for possible reference:
  1. Spare time because of no hair (washing, drying, curling, etc.)
  2. No need to shave legs or armpits (but then again, no desire to be seen in public in a skirt or sleeveless dress)
  3. No scouting for facial hairs to be plucked because they're not supposed to be there
  4. The heating bill goes down in winter (chemo-induced menopause and its associated hot flashes)
  5. A socially-sanctioned period of it being okay to recline a lot (a revelation to those of us who have "look busy" bred into them)
  6. Getting a seat to oneself on the bus because of how you look
  7. No more menstruation (finally!)
  8. Post-surgery pain meds
  9. Learning about surgery drains
  10. Learning what kind of nurse your spouse is....  or isn't
  11. Learning to suspend fear


No comments:

Post a Comment