Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cancer sucks

Yesterday I ran into a coworker who I haven't seen for a while. I had heard that her husband had cancer and was stopping treatment. He died a few weeks ago.

As I was talking with her, I thought "This is what a new widow looks like." She looked okay. She was struggling, but she looked okay. She said someone gave her a pin that says "Cancer Sucks", and that truer words were never spoken.

Four months ago a friend and former lover stopped treatment for cancer and died. I'm just now accepting that this larger than life person is gone.

Another coworker's cancer is back. Those of us at work who've been out with our cancer all know about her situation, and the effect of the cancer returning rippled through this small but tight-knit group.

A good and old friend who had cancer 22 years ago called a few days ago to tell me it's back, in her stomach and metastasized to her lungs and liver. She's in the midst of diagnosis and is in shock.

Cancer sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment