Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cancer = bad taste

I have neglected to mention chemo and taste.

It goes without saying that chemo is in bad taste.

To add insult to chemo, since it kills the fast-growing cells that line the inside of my mouth, my taste buds are altered.

This occurs usually about a week after treatment.

It first happened with Satsuma oranges. They tasted metallic.

Then last week I made a batch of sauteed potatoes w/onions. The first bite, I could have sworn there was something in them that was rancid. I had to throw it all out, after doing "ptui - ptui - ptui" into the kitchen sink.
The Food Gods

On Friday I had dinner with two friends at a Thai restaurant in lovely Lynnwood. We ordered spring rolls as an appetizer. One bite and I prayed to the Food Gods that my Phad Thai was not going to have the same effect. The spring rolls were nasty.
The confusing thing was, it actually tasted like something had turned. My friends said they tasted fine.

So now, I cautiously approach food that's not bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment