Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm integrated with Zippy the Pinhead


I saw a Naturopath yesterday. First time I've done that.

If I recall correctly, this particular physician was referred to me by the Nursigator. She's running a research project in conjunction with "Futch" (as my former neighbor calls it) to compare cancer lottery winners. Specifically, they're anonymously matching and tracking paired individuals, with one seeking traditional medicinal/pharmacological treatment and one seeking the same treatment integrated with naturopathy. They will follow the pairs over the years, to observe how their lives progress or decline.

The exam table lurked in the background
I didn't really care about the research, so much as consulting with this particular Naturopath about diet during chemotherapy and radiation therapy. But in order to be seen by her, I was asked to enroll in the study.

Erroneously, I assumed that since I am taking chemotherapy and radiation therapy, I'd be the person seeking traditional treatment.

It ends up I'm "integrated" by virtue of seeing this physician for treatment. Makes me feel so liberal.

We talked for about an hour, and it definitely was a conversation; no pontification on either side. Her main focus, she said, will be keeping me cancer-free after treatment.

I felt better after seeing her, because we talked about options during and after chemo/radiation therapy that don't involve putting poisons in my body.

When I got home, I emailed my oncologist all the Naturopath's recommendations so we can talk about them on Friday when I get my final infusion of this round of chemo.

*******

Here's a Haiku about some of the latest chemo side effects:

Graying lunulae.
Dyschromia produces
Partial eclipses.

*******

At the risk of appearing self-centered, here are some photos of me.

There are some things I don't have to do now, that I would normally do if I was not bald:

 Such as brushing my hair,
 Curling my hair,
 Drying my hair,
 Hair-spraying my hair,
 Combing my hair,
 Putting gel in my hair,
Or wearing a shower cap.










And, there some of my hats look better than others when I'm bald.

  This was my father's hunting hat.







 

I made this one. Typical chemo cap. Good for use in public, 'though everyone can see I don't have hair. We all play along, pretending we don't know I'm bald.
A couple of my hats, when worn while bald, cause me to remind myself of Zippy the Pinhead.


 See what I mean?
This was my grandmother's.
This was my Uncle Cliff's.
 I don't know where I got this one, but I've had it for years and it's never fit. I was hoping that it would now. It doesn't.
This was my brother Marty's from his Air Force days in West Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment