Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today my scalp goes from kinda hairy to tattooed



I am on vacation the rest of the week. I'm relieved, because my body feels strange. My taste buds are misfiring. My head feels tight. My scalp is tense. My heels are tender. My stomach is a little queasy. My pulse is fast.

Sleep's been difficult. The last few nights I woke up a couple of hours after falling asleep, lay there for a few hours, fell back asleep for a few hours, woke up again, lay there an hour or so, etc.

I assume these uncomfortable sensations are the result of chemotherapy.

Today is the first of a series of visits from artist friends who have agreed to paint henna tattoos on my bald head. First up is Patti Shaw. Others who've agreed to participate are Tina Koyama, Gale Johansen, Marvin Johnson, Jan Kilgannon, Carol Milne and Joline El-Hai.


Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me ~ Not me
I can't wait. I am looking forward to what they come up with.
On the bus home last night, I sat like a spector in the back in the back of the bus. No one sat next to me.
A couple with a small boy sat nearby. The boy couldn't take his eyes off of me. I tried smiling at him through my mask and suspect my smile didn't translate well.
I thought about telling him why I'm wearing a mask, but didn't; I didn't want to say out loud for others to hear "I am on chemotherapy. I could get sick easily from others' germs, so I wear this mask to protect myself."
That would go over real good on a bus.

1 comment: