Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wearing lipstick on the outside of a mask doesn't work so well.

My oncologist has informed me that masks are only good for about 20 minutes. Any longer and the moisture inside from the wearer's breathing breaks down the protective barrier. So, when I switch buses or take a trip longer than 20 minutes, I have to swap out masks.

I woke up at 2:30 this morning, remembering something I'd forgotten about my medications and I wasn't able to go back to sleep.

When I caught my bus this morning, I was so tired that I just sat in the first available seat and rode with my eyes closed for the entire trip. I wonder what the other riders thought.

This afternoon, I'm having a chest port procedure for my multiple chemo "infusions". I'll catch the good ol' number 43 up to Capitol Hill.

One of the things that I like about riding buses like the number 43 is that it's a local route, full of locals. There usually aren't any suburbanites because they tend to ride the express commute routes to towns outside of Seattle.

A local bus, with all its flaws, is not only a bacterial petrie dish, it's also a human petrie dish. A rider has no choice but to be around people who might, in other circumstances, be assiduously avoided.

Such as a woman with a mask.

2 comments:

  1. Especially a woman in a mask with a creepy lipstick stain on the outside! You might have come up with a new "scare strategy" for getting an empty seat on a bus/train. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fright wig maybe, to accessorize the mask? Or maybe the henna will do the trick.
    At any rate: Go Team Roush!
    And don't forget I'm available for rides most anytime/anywhere if you get tired of the hacking & wheezing on the bus.
    AW.

    ReplyDelete